The formative years: ” What notes? Oh, you want me to play those notes? “
Andrew performed a solo piano piece in his 5th grade talent show. The performance was the result of a years worth of lessons delivered by a dedicated older women. The piano teacher figured out that Andrew was learning all the music by listening rather than reading, and refused to play for him again! This limited Andrew’s listening to show tunes from his parent’s albums such as: Amal And The Night Visitors; Fiddler On The Roof; My Fair Lady; and, The King and I; etc….
A few years later, Andrew’s friend Larry introduced him to Oscar Peterson’s album In a Mellow Mood. That listening experience led Andrew to jazz piano lessons, High School Jazz Band, 2 years of classical piano study. After high school, Andrew performed in the “IU. Soul Revue” while attending Indiana University in Bloomington. Eager to make music, Andrew continued to play with bands performing pop, jazz, blues, funk, soul, rock and big band swing.
Prior long term engagements:
- The Ritz Carlton, Amelia Island, Fl.
- Busch Gardens, Willliamsburg, VA.
- The Sammy Kaye Orchestra
- The Delta Steamboat Company
- Kelly’s of Naples
- Nieuport 17
- Manhattan Steak
California engagements: The Catalina Island Conservancy Ball, Fullerton Chamber of Commerce, Brea Chamber of Commerce, Nightingale Health Center, Brea Travel, Sunny Hills Orthopedic, Yorba Linda Country Club, Nixon Library, City of Hope, Swingerhead featuring Michael Andrew at the Beverly Hills Hilton, Biltmore hotel and private parties throughout Orange County.
Pianos are like pets.
To stay healthy pianos can’t get too cold or too warm, too wet or too dry. They will only give back to you what you put into them and if left alone too long will become stiff and ill sounding. When a pianos’ touch and tone are true the player is free to listen, think and feel.
Tuning, Repair and Rebuilding Education and Experience:
- Graduate of the Perkins School of Piano Tuning and Technology, Elyria, Ohio, 1981
- Studied concert piano tuning with Mr. Greyam Ingersoll. (Craftsman member, PTG.)
- Craftsman member of the Piano Technicians Guild, 1982
- Tuner-technician, Netzows, Yamaha piano dealer, Milwaukee, WI. 1981 to 1985
- Tuned for various Narada artists, Koss electronics and for James Taylor and Seals and Crofts.”
- Tuner-technician, Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. 1986 to 1993
- Independent Piano tuner-technician 1994 to present. Providing concert tuning, repair and rebuilding services to private homes, churches, music clubs, yacht clubs, restaurants, the Catalina Island Conservancy and school districts in Los Angeles and Orange County, California.
- 2009 tuner-technician for the Muckenthaler, Art Museum, Fullerton Ca.